Thursday 2 August 2012

Book Review: Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly

BROOKLYN: Andi Alpers is on the edge. She's angry at her father for leaving, angry at her mother for not being able to cope, and heartbroken by the loss of her younger brother, Truman. Rage and grief are destroying her. And she's about to be expelled from Brooklyn Heights' most prestigious private school when her father intervenes. Now Andi must accompany him to Paris for winter break.

PARIS: Alexandrine Paradis lived over two centuries ago. She dreamed of making her mark on the Paris stage, but a fateful encounter with a doomed prince of France cast her in a tragic role she didn't want-and couldn't escape.

Two girls, two centuries apart. One never knowing the other. But when Andi finds Alexandrine's diary, she recognizes something in her words and is moved to the point of obsession. There's comfort and distraction for Andi in the journal's antique pages-until, on a midnight journey through the catacombs of Paris, Alexandrine's words transcend paper and time, and the past becomes suddenly, terrifyingly present.
___________________________________________________________________________________

     I went into this book expecting not to like it at all. But I got through it in two days, I could not put it down for a second! I really found myself into it and being unable to wait and see what happens next! I was on the edge of my seat for this whole book and I was really happy to have picked this book up when I saw it.
     In other review I had seen, people had said the found Andi to be an annoying, sad and depressing character. I didn't find that in the least, I found her story interesting and something that really caught my attention. Her struggle was something that made my heart break for her, but I was rooting for her the entire time and could not wait for her to just be happy again! The love interest in this book is just so not typical that it's really interesting the way the author chose him and his personality to fit perfectly with Andi's.
     Jennifer Donnelly is someone who I had not heard of before this book, but when I began to read I just fell in love with the author's style of writing, it was so cool and so interesting the way she just described Andi's feelings towards herself and the rest of the world was incredible and really spoke to me as a reader.
     I do not like books about reincarnation or when the character finds the diary and all of a sudden they're connected some how. But this book is something that was so unlike the one's that I had read previously. BUT, the 'time travel' portion of this book is literally 50 pages, tops. So that wasn't a problem to me because it isn't why I bought the book in the first place but it could be a problem for others who thought that that was what they wanted to read.
This book totally get's a 5/5 stars from me though!

No comments:

Post a Comment