Thursday 2 August 2012

Book Review: The Iron Thorn by Caitlin Kittredge

In the city of Lovecraft, the Proctors rule and a great Engine turns below the streets, grinding any resistance to their order to dust. The necrovirus is blamed for Lovecraft''s epidemic of madness, for the strange and eldritch creatures that roam the streets after dark, and for everything that the city leaders deem Heretical-born of the belief in magic and witchcraft. And for Aoife Grayson, her time is growing shorter by the day.
Aoife Grayson''s family is unique, in the worst way-every one of them, including her mother and her elder brother Conrad, has gone mad on their 16th birthday. And now, a ward of the state, and one of the only female students at the School of Engines, she is trying to pretend that her fate can be different.
________________________________________________________________________________

     I love books about crazy people. It's one of my favourite things to read about. This book was no different I really enjoyed it. It was hard for me to get through because I wasn't really into that type of book at the time, but I still loved it. The author did i really good job of setting up the world that we travel through with Aoife and her friends in this book, which was something that I really liked.
     Something that was strange to me was the time line of the book. They talk about the 20th century, but they act as if it is before that. Almost as if our age of technology never even happened because everyone went crazy.
     I loved the characters in this novel though, they are all so smart and funny--espically the love interest who is so rugged and smart! These characters I felt like were perfect for the job of assiting Aofie in this journey. All the people just fit together in a great way. The ending of this book was really goos and it made me very excited to read the next one.
     This book is something that you really need to pay attention to all the way through, though, just so you know. Because I'm the type of person who tends to just skip through the description and head right for more dialog, I was unable to do that with this book though.
     The sequel is called The Secret Garden and it is currently in stores!

No comments:

Post a Comment